Check the expiration date of an SSL certificate
- Open a UNIX command line window.
- Perform a query such as, openssl s_client -servername NAME -connect HOST:PORT 2 /dev/null | openssl x509 -noout -dates. The expiration date appears in the response as notAfter= expiration_date
- We will share 4 ways to check the SSL Certificate Expiration date. Openssl command is a very powerful command to check certificate info in Linux. We can use the flowing command to check the expiration date. openssl s_client -servername -connect 2 /dev/null | openssl x509 -noout -dates
How do I view an SSL certificate in Linux?
Set SSL Certificate in Linux
- Upload the certificate and important key files using – S/FTP.
- Login to Server.
- Give the Root Password.
- Move the certificate file to /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.
- Move the key file also to /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.
- Go to etc/httpd/conf.
- Edit Virtual Host Configuration..
- Restart Apache.
How do I monitor SSL certificate expiration?
Monitoring Certificate Expiration Date for a Website
- Open the monitor settings and switch to the Advanced tab.
- Select the desired value for the Report Expired SSL Certificates option: When Expired. 1 Day Before Expiration. 2 Days Before Expiration. 7 Days Before Expiration. 15 Days Before Expiration.
- Click Save.
What is the expiration date of the SSL certificate?
Those requirements dictate that SSL certificates may have a lifespan of no longer than 27 months (two years + you can carry over up to three months when you renew with time remaining on your previous certificate).
How do I find certificate details in Linux?
You can perform this with the following command: sudo update-ca-certificates. You will notice that the command reports it has installed certificates if required (up-to-date installations may already have the root certificate).
How do I find my SSL certificate?
Click on the padlock icon to the right or left of the website’s address and look for an option to view the certificate. If you don’t see that option, look for one that talks about viewing website connection details and then look for a certificate button there. The certificate dialog box will then open.
How can I check my original certificate?
Genuine degrees are embossed and have a gold seal and if you bring the certificate against a bright light, there should be a hologram watermark visible. The signature should also not be printed, as genuine certificates have signatures which are written in ink and they do not contain any spelling mistakes.
Which tool helps to check the SSL certificate validity and popups?
Using ManageEngine Applications Manager’s SSL Monitor, you can monitor the validity of the SSL certificates of your website.
How do I configure SSL certificate monitoring?
To set up an SSL certificate monitor:
- Select +Add Monitor from Monitors on the Main menu.
- Select SSL Certificate from the Type box.
- Give your monitor a Name.
- Set the Check frequency.
- Select the Enabled and Generate alerts check boxes, if not already selected.
- Provide the URL for your website in the URL box.
What happens if SSL certificate expired?
When using an expired certificate, you risk your encryption and mutual authentication. As a result, both your website and users are susceptible to attacks and viruses. For example, a hacker can take advantage of a website with an expired SSL certificate and create a fake website identical to it.
How do I change the expiration date on my SSL certificate?
The certificate expiration date is encoded in its body and cannot be changed. To extend the secure connection, it is necessary to replace the expiring certificate on hosting server by a new one with an extended validity period.
How do I find my certificate serial number Linux?
How to find the thumbprint/serial number of a certificate?
- Open Certificate to the General Tab. – MMC:
- Click on Details.
- Be sure that the Show drop down displays All.
- Click Serial number or Thumbprint. Depending on what you’re looking for.
- Use combination CTRL+C to copy it.